Web design is now in its second decade, yet here at Forward Motion Studios we are still amazed by how little small business owners understand what their websites should be doing for them.
Small business owners will come to us with what “they want” or “like” without researching what their customer “will like” or “want”. They also don’t have a clear vision of the purpose of their business website. What does the website need to do? Increase in-store sales? Motivate customers to call? Have visitors purchase something online?
Customers have become vastly more internet savvy than they were just a few years ago, and businesses that don’t keep up with higher levels of web sophistication on their websites risk being left behind by their competition.
In this video, Dr Dave Chaffey, author of E-consultancy’s Best Practice Guides discusses common business website mistakes. Econsultancy is a community where the world’s digital marketing and ecommerce professionals meet to sharpen their strategy, source suppliers, get quick answers, compare notes, help each other out and discover how to do everything better online -
1. Designing in all Flash.
2. Designing with a black background.
3. A design that isn’t balanced. A design that meets the wants and needs of the business owner but not the customer.
4. An About Us page that lacks detailed information and images.
5. No testimonials.
6. No clear goals for each page telling the visitor what you want them to do.
7. No call to action.
8. The website has not been designed for Search Engine Optimization.
9. The site design isn’t flexible to allow items on the site to be easily moved around and updated often.
10. The current website is too busy and difficult for the visitor to navigate.
11. The website doesn’t include a blog or a forum or a way for customers to interact online with the business.
If you are not getting the results from your website that you need, or you are not sure what the purpose of your website should be, we can help. Call us at 707-578-1390 today and we can help you with your web design and help you determine how effective your web pages are to your business plan.
Our continued success to you,
About Forward Motion Studios -
Forward Motion Studios™ is a Santa Rosa Web Design company that builds, hosts and supports custom websites for businesses. This includes simple, brochure-like web pages to highly complex, software and database-driven eCommerce websites with B2B shopping carts. You can catch their Tweets at twitter/forwardmotion and connect with them on Facebook at facebook.com/forwardmotionstudios.